The following are some simple steps you can take every day, from the time you wake up to the time you go to bed, to avoid acne and reduce the chances of future outbreaks.
1. Take care to keep your face protected from shampoo and conditioner. Shampoos and conditioners often create harsh substances and should not be applied on the skin.
2. Use an exfoliator for your face. Wash your face with a loofah, cloth or an abrasive facial scrub, as this will help to remove dead skin cells. However, make sure that you don’t do it harshly or cause any tears or scratches in the outermost layer of your skin; acne-causing bacteria can fester in such inflamed or scarred areas.
3. If you have oily skin, use an astringent; if you have regular or dry skin, use a toner. Wipe your skin gently with cotton.
4. Before going out, apply a moisturizer containing sunscreen to shield your skin from harmful rays and pollutants.
5. Stay very well-hydrated. Drinking lots of water is a very easy and effective way of clearing your skin of toxins.
6. Don’t pick on your blemishes with your fingers, or worry your skin with your nails. This can not only cause scarring but also make your skin dirty.
7. Before going to bed, wash, scrub and tone your face as you did in the morning. Get plenty of rest and allow your skin to regenerate as you sleep.
8. Sleep on clean sheets. Wash or change your bed sheets and pillowcases often, at least once a week. Old and dirty sheets are sure to contain a buildup of skin irritants, dead skin cells and pollutants which can clog your pores and affect your ‘beauty sleep’ for the worse.